Last Updated

9 th Febuary



Click on our Mailbox to contact Teesmouth Lifeboat Supporters Association


History 4

Teesmouth LifeboatSupporters Association

Teesmouth lifeboat Supporters Association are not part of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution

November 11th. 1991 “Stora Kosnas Link 1”

“Phil Mead” was launched on service at 0643hrs. After the Ro-Ro ferry “Stora Kosnas Link 1” reported an engine room fire, which had disabled the power systems. The Lifeboat proceeded with 2 firemen on-board to give professional advice. Whitby Lifeboat and 2 tugs from the River Tees also proceeded. The firemen were winched from the lifeboat onto the ferry and assessments made. The ferry had drifted to within about 1 mile of Skinningrove before the tugs were able to get a line aboard and start towing to safety. Weather conditions were severe and one of the tugs suffered mechanical damage to the towing equipment and had to abandon the tow. The 2nd tug was able to get the ferry to a position where the anchors could be safely deployed. The decision was made to evacuate all personnel by helicopter and allow the fire to burn until a specialist tug could arrive on scene and make salvage arrangements.

The Lifeboat returned to station and was ready for service again at 1610hrs. Whitby Lifeboat moored in Tees Dock as weather conditions at the piers prevented them from returning to harbour.

Wind North West 9 Sea state 8.



February 28th. 1993 “Freja Svea & Hartlepool Lifeboat”

“Phil Mead” were at sea on bad weather exercise when a radio message from “Freja Svea” to Tees Ports Control was monitored asking for immediate tug assistance. The Lifeboat proceeded towards Redcar where the 110000 tonne tanker could be seen to be in difficulties and driving ashore. A helicopter was also requested to attend. The Lifeboat passed down the starboard side of the tanker without problem, but when passing down the port side was picked up by an exceptionally large sea and laid over on its port side to an angle of about 100 degrees. The port engine malfunctioned during this time and the Lifeboat stood off the tanker in deeper water. Repairs could not be made at sea so Hartlepool Lifeboat was requested to stand-by whilst Teesmouth Lifeboat returned to the River Tees.

At about 1835hrs. a MAYDAY message from Hartlepool lifeboat was heard reporting they had been capsized and had a man in the water. The helicopter lifted off and Teesmouth Lifeboat also proceeded albeit on 1 engine. The helicopter recovered the crewman from the sea and Teesmouth lifeboat located Hartlepool lifeboat to escort them to safety. Hartlepool Lifeboat entered the River Tees as they considered the conditions safer in the Tees Channel.

Teesmouth Lifeboat engine repairs were completed the following morning and the Lifeboat was available for service by 1000hrs. Hartlepool Lifeboat was off service and Sunderland Lifeboat, which had taken up duties from within the Tees, was released but due to weather conditions was unable to return to Sunderland for a further 4 days.

For this service, each Teesmouth Lifeboat crewmember that took part in the services received an individual framed Letter of Thanks.

Wind North 10 Sea state 10



[Home] [Crew] [History] [History 2] [History 3] [History 4] [Services 2006] [Archive 1] [Location] [Lifeboat] [Links] [Membership] [J W Archer] [J W Archer Story 1]