Services of The J.W. Archer at Teesmouth Lifeboat Station Continued
While the "J.W. Archer" was at sea on exercise on the afternoon of November 28th. 1945, her crew saw the tug "Charing Cross", with two hoppers in-tow, enter' the River Tees. Suddenly, the tow-line to the second hopper, the "Normandy 2", parted and she was driven ashore at Battery Point, on the South Gare. The lifeboat went to her aid and a line was fired across to the 2 men on the hopper and the tow-line was reconnected to the tug. However, she was unable to pull the hopper clear and so decided to stand-by and make another attempt on the high tide, the lifeboat returning to her boathouse at 4-30 p.m. She was launched again at 9-55 p.m., after news had been received that the "Normandy 2" was badly holed and would not float, the lifeboat taking the 2 men off the hopper and putting them aboard the tug, before returning to her station again at 10-30 p.m.
At the beginning of January 1946, John Stonehouse took over as Coxswain. On the afternoon of February 23rd. 1946, the keepers on the South Gare Lighthouse, reported that a vessel was in difficulties 200 yards north-east of the Lighthouse, in rough seas and a northerly gale. The "J.W. Archer" was launched at 2-45 p.m. and put a Pilot aboard the steamer, which was the "Blair Devon", of Glasgow. When it became evident that the steamer was not going to clear the Salt Scar Rocks, the lifeboat helped to connect a towline from a tug, which eventually pulled her clear and took her to Hartlepool.
At noon on June 1st. 1947, a wireless message was received from the s. s. "Fort Ellice", asking for urgent assistance, as one of her crew had sustained a broken leg and other injuries. In dense fog, the "J.W. Archer" was launched at 12-35 p.m., took the injured man and his son off the steamer and landed them at Midlesborough. the lifeboat being rehoused at 4-05 p.m.
The "J.W. Archer" was launched at 5-15 a.m. on August 7th. 1948, after red flares had been sighted to the north-east of the North Gare Breakwater. The casualty, the fishing vessel "Belvoir Castle", of Grimsby, with screw of 4, was found half-a-mile north-west of the breakwater, pounding on the beach and half-full of water. The lifeboat-men laid out an anchor from the fishing boat, to prevent her from being driven further ashore and then took the crew off the boat and landed them at Hartlepool, the lifeboat returning to her station at 7-30 a.m.
The "J.W. Archer" recorded what proved to be her last service at Teesmouth on November 30th. 1949. At 2 o'clock that afternoon, while at sea on a routine exercise, the lifeboat-men came up with the fishing coble "Mildred", which was making heavy weather, in rough seas and a strong southwesterly wind. But the coble's crew of 3 said that they were all right and so the lifeboat-men continued heading back towards the boathouse. But as the wind continued to increase in strength, they decided to return to the coble, which was found being driven towards a lee-shore, with a flooded engine. The coble was taken in-tow and they arrived back at the boathouse at 4-00 p.m.
February 18th. 1950
And the new Teesmouth Lifeboat The "John & Lucy Cordingley" arrives 'on station', escorted-in by the old "J.W. Archer".